Your life is an occasion. Rise to it. -From Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Where do I draw the line?

I realized this morning that I haven't given anyone an update on how Ryder is doing with the Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome. So here goes...the plan is to keep him on the prednisolone {steroid} for 2 months, and then take 1 more month to wean him off of them, for a total of 3 months. Even though at his appointment last Friday he no longer had protein in his urine and the swelling is 100% gone and he is back to his normal weight. His pediatrician is working with the nephrologist at Primary Childrens Hospital {thankfully his pediatrician is confident we can treat him locally and we don't have to go to SLC} and they see the best success of this condition never coming back if we stay the course of steroids for 3 months.
I am so thankful that we have seen such great success with the steroids, but...I am beginning to see the side effects that everyone has been asking about. The first appointment with his pediatrician he asked me how Ryder had been? Not just like you would ask someone in a friendly conversation, it was a loaded question! Like he was expecting me to say something to the effect of "A monster has taken over my sweet Ryder and I want to hit him over the head with a frying pan a trillion times a day!" At the time of the now infamous question, Ryder had been on the steroids about 10 days and was handling himself quite well, NO LONGER! I am seeing the things I had been hearing about all along...so my question is, "Where do you draw the line?" Do I accept behaviors I normally wouldn't because they are probably from the steroids? I am so uncertain! So we are just doing the best we can for the time being. Did I mention he eats like a 15 year old boy these days??? {another side effect}
To be continued... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment